15 Sept 2013

2013 Vintage By The Sea Event - Celebrates 80 Years Of The Midland Hotel



vintage event - vintage by the sea
 
 

art deco staircase morecambe
 

What did you get up to yesterday? I spent three hours, deciding which vintage-inspired look I should wear, (based on our very unpredictable British weather) for my invitation to Wayne Hemingway's event, Vintage By The Sea. I finally decided on a Ben de Lisi 50s inspired, linen wiggle dress, a bright blue linen coat with chunky black buttons and ruffles on the front and a small black patent, boxy, grab bag.
 
two women on the stairs wearing vintage
 
 
 Outfit sorted, camera and brolly packed, I wiggled my way down to the train station. Ten minutes later I was enjoying lovely views of Morecambe bay, whilst I tottered along the prom to the Midland. I love visiting the Midland hotel and taking in all its creamy art-deco curves and lines. It was nice to see it overflowing with people and all thing's vintage, from Punch and Judy shows; classic cars and ice-cream vans to glam gals wearing red lipstick and seamed stockings.
 

vintage vehicle at vintage event
 
 I managed to pick up a vintage bargain inside at one of the vintage clothing stores a malteeser coloured mock croc clutch. I was very tempted to have a full retro hair and make over at Guys, and Dolls pop up salon seeing some of the starlets emerging from a mist of Elnett hair spray, but I decided to save my money for a visit to the Routunda bar and a date with Elvis (well his music really) a chip butty made with smoke butter and a butterscotch Daiquiri which was every bit as dreamy as it sounds.
 
vintage event
 
vintage clothing stall
 
 
vintage hair salon
 
vintage cocktail menu
 
 
 Sadly, I didn't get to chat to Wayne about his American Indian wrestling father Billy Two Rivers, or the many crazy outfits he got to model as a child on Morecambe prom created by his mum and his nan, or to ask how he felt about moving out of fashion and into design on a much bigger scale, but if I had of done, I would have wanted to thank him for throwing such a great 80th birthday party for the Midland Hotel and Morecambe his hometown.       
 


vintage fashion at the Midland hotel Morecambe
 



 

1 comments:

Matthew Spade said...

So good,it's such a cool looking hotel and I'm glad it's been (am I right in saying?) done up by the urban splash folk. Big fan of WM and is lovely wife. They're inspirational people.

fashionable frolickers

This chic little rectangle is just waiting to be filled with your thoughts ....